…and not just any cake…a MOMOFUKU MILK BAR-INSPIRED CAKE! Yes. YES. I attempted to make a healthy(er) version of Christina Tosi’s fabulous apple pie layer cake and it turned out to be pretty bomb-fucking-tastic. And this is why people need to have birthdays more often. Or cake in general.
I made a mini 8″ double layer cake (second cake I’ve made in my life) for my boyfriend’s birthday recently and in actuality, I had no idea I was going to go this route. All I knew when I was beginning to bake was that “Fuck, out of granulated sugar”, “Fuck, out of white all purpose flour”, “FUCK! Out of BUTTER”. Pretty much I was SOL. So I went on making my vegan brown sugar cake recipe (it’s adapted because if you think I’ll give out my recipe without you signing my confidentiality agreement…HA!) instead knowing that I wanted to fill it with an apple pie filling since he loves apple pie and the tree in the front yard has been spewing apples like crazy lately. So I did a quick Google search for some inspiration because I thought to myself, “Apple pie cake would be cool. Like combining pie AND cake!” but of course my genius idea has already been done by my favourite pastry chef, Christina Tosi, the mastermind behind Momofuku Milk Bar in NYC. Of course. But I haven’t actually tried any of her recipes due to the several components to each of her recipes. This time, I was up for (part of) the challenge.
So baking, unlike cooking, is a bit more finicky but seriously, anybody can do it. Just think of it like…science. They’re all equations, really, and the ingredients used in baking react with another. For example, baking soda and vinegar will help make a cake rise. See? Some people are very anal with measurements, sifting, etc. but I guess I’ve just gotten so used to it that I’m not so strict on myself anymore. Or maybe I’m just lazy. Wow, I am not a good baking teacher. Anywho, baking is just something you get used to. Once you started baking quite often, you’ll start to get to know what “good” cookie dough looks and feels like and same with cake batter. I hope I haven’t scared/intimidated you out of baking this cake…
Apple pie layer cake (adapted from Momofuku Milk Bar; recipe posted at Sweet Peony)
What you’ll need:
– 1 cup whole wheat all purpose flour
– 2/3 cup brown sugar, packed
– 1 tsp baking soda
– 1/4 cup vegetable oil
– 2/3 cup vanilla almond milk
– 1 tsp white vinegar
– 1 recipe Pie Crust Crumb (substituted AP whole wheat flour, brown sugar)
– 1 recipe Apple Pie Filling (decreased sugar by 1/3 cup, added 1 tbsp water)
– 1 recipe Pie Crust Frosting (substituted vanilla almond milk)
What you’ll need to do:
1. Place baking rack in the middle of oven and preheat to 350F. Spray/grease or line an 8″ round cake pan with parchment paper and set aside.
2. Divide dry ingredients into one bowl and wet ingredients into another.
3. Combine both ingredients and mix until well combined (can be done in a mixer, handmixer, or by hand).
4. Pour batter into cake pan and bake for 25 minutes or until a cake tester/toothpick comes out clean.
5. Cool completely, wrap in plastic wrap, and place in refrigerator for four hours or overnight.
6. Prepare Pie Crust Crumb according to instructions.
7. Make Apple Pie filling, cool, and set aside.
8. Make Pie Crust Frosting and reserve the rest of the Pie Crust Crumb for topping.
9. Take the cake out of the refrigerator and cut in half. Place on cake stand and fill it with apple pie filling. Put the other layer on top and frost, sides included. Stick Pie Crust Crumb all over the sides and on top of the frosted cake leave a circle in the middle.
10. Cut and serve. Makes an 8″, double layer cake, 10 slices.