Let’s see… Who here tends to throw out their broccoli stems? I know I used to (atleast it was in the compost bin!) but why should we throw out a perfectly good part of a vegetable that is just as equally as nutritious as the “normal” part? Yes friends. Today I’ll be cooking with broccoli stems. And I am going to create this unwanted part of a common vegetable into something remarkable. I give you whole wheat broccoli and cheddar cheese fritters.
Broccoli stems are just as flavourful and full of vitamins as their flowerful floret part. And instead of buying crowns of broccoli, you can actually get the whole vegetable usually for a cheaper price. See? An effort to be healthy and economical. Genius.
And since I had already used up my florets in this recipe, I knew I had a find a way to use these stems up. And I remembered. Deb from Smitten Kitchen’s broccoli parmesan fritters. Oh my. I had an opportunity to make this? HELLS YES. But wait, someone (aka my boyfriend) used up all the parmesan cheese and all we had left was cheddar. Sigh. Guess we’ll have to rework this. Made these babies with my own twist. And how awesome is this? Frying up vegetables in a delicious batter? Wonderful…or just another way to get your kids to eat veggies.
Anyways, this is again fast and a great way to use up any left over vegetables or eggs that are sitting in your fridge. Just takes a few minutes to assemble the batter and a little bit longer to cook these vegetables until they are soft enough but after that, it’s all fry fry fry, quick quick quick. This would make a quick breakfast (or pre-workout nibble as I did) or side dish. Feel free to nom away.
Whole wheat broccoli and cheddar cheese fritters (adapted from Smitten Kitchen)
What you’ll need:
– 2 broccoli stems, diced (about 3 cups)
– 2 free-range eggs (or 1 large)
– 1/2 cup all purpose whole wheat flour
– 1/2 cup old cheddar cheese, grated
– 2 garlic cloves, minced
– 1/4 tsp salt
– 1/4 tsp chili flakes
– Freshly ground black pepper
– Ghee, or vegetable oil (as needed)
– Feta cheese, crumbled (optional)
What you’ll need to do:
1. In a large pot of boiling water, cook broccoli stems for 5 minutes or until it can be mashed with a potato masher. Drain, set aside, and roughly mash (keep some pieces in tact).
2. In the meantime, create your batter. Combine all the ingredients and mix well. Add your mashed broccoli to the mixture
3. Heat ghee or vegetable oil in a non-stick frying pan until hot. Drop heaping tablespooons of batter and cook 2-3 minutes on one side, flip, and 1 minute on the other. Repeat until all batter is finished.
4. Serve with crumbled feta cheese. Makes 10 fritters.