I am beyond excited. After many trial and errors, flavour combinations, and healthy additions and subtractions, I have finally perfected my banana bread recipe!!! Low fat, healthy, moist, and full of banana almond flavour, my whole wheat almond butter banana bread is likely to knock off your socks.
I’ve tried endless banana bread combinations — chocolate chip, oatmeal, almond, raspberry… The list goes on. I knew I really enjoyed the nuttiness from the whole wheat flour and the healthiness from the added flax seed but it needed something else. As much as I love full-on overripe banana flavour, I always like to have something else to complement it.
Enter, almond butter.
My relationship with almond butter actually just began a year and a half ago. After fearlessly trying some almond butter (I used to be allergic to all nuts), I miraculously had no allergic reaction. What. The. Hell. I had a lot of catching up to do. And having previously had nut butter substitutes (ie. No Nuts Soy Butter), there was no going back. It was heavenly.
It was also a heavenly addition the banana bread. Not only did it help combat dryness in the loaf, it also dually acted as a fat so I was able to cut down on the oil in the overall recipe. Almond butter is also very high in protein as well so I did not feel super bad about eating a couple slices of these.
And since I was going healthy, why not go vegan? To substitute the eggs and to add yet another burst of protein, I added a flax egg: a simple mixture of warm water mixed with ground flax seed. When mixed, a chemical reaction occurs and the flax, like chia seeds, sucks up most of the moisture and becomes a jelly-like substance with a texture that is quite similar to that of a raw egg. Perfect.
And the results? Moist, nutty, healthy and low fat. And tastes amazing, duh. Absolutely perfect results every single time. Never going back to any other recipes again! SUCCESS!!!
Whole wheat almond butter banana bread
What you’ll need:
– 1 overripe banana, mashed
– 1/4 cup smooth almond butter
– 1/4 cup agave syrup
– 1 tbsp vegetable oil
– 1 tsp madagascar bourbon vanilla extract
– 1 flax seed “egg” (1 tbsp ground flax seed, 2 tbsp warm water mixed together)
– 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
– 1/2 tsp baking soda
– 1 tsp baking powder
– 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
– 1/4 cup almond milk
– Oats, demerrara sugar, almonds, chocolate chips, etc. (optional)
What you’ll need to do:
1. Preheat the oven to 325F.
2. In your mixer, combine all the wet ingredients except the milk (banana, agave, almond butter, vanilla extract, flax seed egg, oil).
3. Slowly add the dry ingredients to the mixture and alternate with the almond milk until everything is incorporated.
4. Pour into a parchment paper-lined 8×4 loaf pan. Sprinkle decorative ingredients on top (I used quick cooking oats this time but my favourite is demerrara sugar).
5. Bake for 25-30 minutes. Makes 1 loaf.