Part of my goals this year was to really give my boyfriend’s place a makeover. And the first place I started was (obviously) the kitchen. I first tackled the fridge, then the freezer, the table, the sink, countertops, and finally, the cupboards. Oh dear lord. This was really something else. Invading a man’s cupboards (even the fridge) was really…interesting. Let’s take the fridge, for example. Condiments galore, mysterious sauces, 4 containers (or was it 5?) of raspberry jam, miscellaneous medicine, nacho cheese… Oh, and everything was expired. Yup.
The cupboards were much the same. Pickled…everything, random unheard of grains, instant noodles, other instant food… And the spices? It was like a bomb went off in there. Spices EVERYWHERE.
Let’s just say I tossed alot of things out. Hey, atleast I’m getting a head start on spring cleaning! And although I threw a number of
questionable ingredients out, I did keep a few things, like a spice mix for karahi chicken masala. And since the weather has been thrown to shit, this week would be perfect for a comforting curry.
I hate instant foods and mixes but I read all of the ingredients and it was all natural. It seemed to me that this was just a simple spice mix, comparable to say, a garam masala spice mix, for a dish called “karahi chicken masala”. Not knowing what that was, I Googled it. Seemed to be a simple curry consisting of tomatoes, onions and chicken. Sweet. Good enough for me. No need to go grocery shopping. And since the potatoes were growing old, they were destined to be in this dish as well.
Karahi chicken is a comforting curry/stew that originated in northern India and Pakistan. It is traditionally made with fresh tomatoes, lots of onions and chicken pieces (leg, thigh, etc.) and spiced with the typical suspects (cumin, coriander, garam masala, turmeric). Unfortunately, I’ve never had this dish before so I had no idea what to expect. Luckily, I loved it!
It’s comforting (as all curries should be) and quick to make and isn’t as heavy as my usual go-to curry. I can definitely see this dish in my recipe rotation list…and maybe you can see it in yours too!
Karahi chicken masala
What you’ll need:
– 2 tsps ghee or vegetable oil
– 1 whole onion, sliced
– 2 tsps karahi spice
– 1 tsps coriander, whole
– 1 tsp ginger-garlic paste
– 8 chicken thighs, diced
– 7 small new potatoes, diced
– 2 cups water
– 1 can diced tomatoes, drained
– 2 tsps salt
What you’ll need to do:
1. Melt ghee or vegetable oil over medium-high heat in a medium pot.
2. Add the sliced onion and spices to the pot and sautee for 1 minute. Reduce heat to low.
3. While the onions are caramelizing, prepeare your other ingredients.
4. Bring the heat back up to medium-high and add the diced chicken and ginger-garlic paste. Brown until most of the chicken is cooked and add the potatoes. Add the water, tomatoes and salt. Cover and simmer for 25 minutes.
5. Serve with white rice. Makes 6 servings.