I’ve never really been a muffin person. But since I’ve been posting my healthy and good-for-you treats on Instagram and Facebook, I’ve been getting more and more requests to make them a part of my cupcake business, Dolce Delights.
Dolce Delights is currently collaborating with GoodLife Fitness in Burnaby with one of my old wrestling teammates, Deanna, who is fundraising for her Ride to Conquer Cancer. She’s selling off some healthy post-workout snacks at the gym. She loved my whole wheat banana bread (which sold out) and now she’s selling my spiced applesauce and oatmeal muffins. Yay!
Fitness, eating healthy and diets seem to be the hugest trend right now. I constantly see peoples’ meal prep, green smoothies, and progress pictures on my Instagram and Facebook feeds. I think it really is great that people are taking their health and diets seriously as it is inspiring in the sense that it motivates me to eat and work out better but also in the form of recipes of foods. On the other hand, it is annoying as hell. Do I really need to see your 5 Tupperwares filled with boring-ass, bland, “clean-eating” food? No. I want to look at delicious food porn that have been meticulously placed and bathing in sunlight to make it look more amazing than it really is (story of my Instagram account).
Sorry (not really sorry), but I like to enjoy food. You may be fooling yourself that your grilled chicken with zero seasoning and raw organic dinosaur kale salad with no dressing is delicious but I have to disagree.
I will acknowledge that diet is a HUGE factor when it comes to toning and shaping your body and weight loss but I really don’t think you should sacrifice enjoying and treating yourself in order to just get a killer body. I honestly believe the motto, “Everything in moderation”, is a great slogan to live by. And within reason too. Making food can be both nutritious, delicious, AND good for you. Don’t believe me? Then try these muffins I’ve created for GoodLife Fitness Burnaby.
These muffins are so good for you. Let me tell you about them. They are low in fat, vegan, protein-packed and are filled with superfoods galore. Oats, whole wheat flour and the natural sweetness from the applesauce help make this little muffin good for you. They contain chia seeds, ground flax seeds, AND hemp hearts which make it perfect for a post-workout nibble. And the topping? Well, I love my streusel but this one is completely guilt-free. Topped with a mixture of oats, demerrara (raw cane sugar), and organic dehydrated apple chips (no sugar added), this is an excellent mid-day snack that won’t leave you feeling guilty. Are you convinced yet?
Spiced applesauce and oatmeal muffins
What you’ll need:
– 1 1/2 cups quick-cooking oats
– 1 1/2 cups all-purpose whole wheat flour
– 1/2 cup brown sugar
– 1 tsp baking powder
– 1 1/2 tsps ground cinnamon
– 1/2 tsp baking soda
– 2 tbsp ground flax seeds
– 2 tbsp hemp hearts
– 1/2 cup almond milk
– 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
– 2 tbsp vegetable oil
– 1 chia seed “egg” (1 tbsp chia seeds, 2 tbsp warm water)
– 1/2 cup quick-cooking oats
– 1/4 cup demerrara sugar
– 1/3 cup organic apple chips
– 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
What you’ll need to do:
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Spray a muffin tin with vegetable oil or grease with vegetable shortening.
2. In a large mixing bowl or in your stand mixer, mix all of your dry ingredients (oats, flour, sugar, baking powder and soda, flax seeds, and hemp hearts) unti thoroughly combined.
3. In a separate bowl, take the remaining ingredients and combine. When making your chia seed “egg”, you want to ensure first that the chia and the water react and firm up. The texture should be gelatin-like, similar to that of the texture of a raw egg.
4. Pour the wet ingredients into the bowl of dry ingredients and mix to combine.
5. In a separate, small bowl, mix the oats, demerrara sugar, cinnamon and apple chips together.
6. Spoon into the muffin tins with a large ice cream scoop. It should be 3/4 full. Sprinkle a tablespoonful of the streusel topping and bake for 15-20 minutes. Makes 1 dozen (12) muffins.