I know some of you have been waiting for this post for a very long time because of my discovery of the Whole Foods market. But more on that later after the jump. First, sweet chili chicken and broccoli stir fry.
I may have made the best discovery ever: the UNFI Saturday Market. UNFI is a wholesaler that provides organic , gluten-free and specialty goods to Whole Foods and other organic grocers and food stores. My boyfriend’s brother’s friend told us about it and urged us to come shopping with them one day — and I haven’t looked back since. A lot of the items are bound to expire within a couple weeks to a month so be sure to double check the expiry date on them before purchasing. It is also a good idea to know your prices. If you go grocery shopping often, you could probably tell what a good deal vs. what isn’t. Needless to say, I was able to pick up a ton of great items for practically nothing.
– 10 Almond Breezes – $3.00 for EVERYTHING (usually cost $3.00/ea)
– Hemp Seed Oil – $8.00 vs. $24.99
– Tofu – $1.00/pkg vs. $2.00-$3.00/pkg
– Healthy chips – $0.50 per bag (huge bags) vs. $4/bag
– Coconut oil – $35 for 7lbs vs. $15 for 989mL
– Gourmet soups – $0.75/ea vs. $5.00/$6.00/ea
Excited yet? Check out the UNFI Saturday Market at Unit 153 – 12757 Vulcan Way, Richmond from 9:00am-2:00pm.
So, for today’s dish I wanted to try out a few new additions to my pantry: Braggs Liquid Aminos, extra virgin coconut oil from Costco, and this organic chili sauce that I had been gifted. Um…no. Experimental FAIL. I already knew the coconut oil was going to taste coconut-y because it was extra virgin (always get just plain organic, it has no flavour or scent at all) so there was a slight coconut taste in this dish that I did not mind. The Braggs Liquid Aminos was interesting. It tasted just like Maggi sauce — wtf? And the organic chili sauce that I was given tasted disgusting. Threw the rest of the bottle out. I’ll stick with my regular sweet chili sauce, thank you.
Overall, it was not a bad dish but I probably wouldn’t use Braggs or the other chili sauce. Sticking with my standard sauces instead!
Sweet chili chicken and broccoli stir fry
What you’ll need:
– 2 large broccoli (4 small heads), chopped
– 2 tsps extra coconut oil
– 6 boneless, skinless chicken thighs, diced
– 6 cloves garlic, minced
– 3 tbsp soy sauce
– 2 tsps Braggs Liquid Aminos
– 2 tsps Sriracha
– 4 tbsp sweet chili sauce
– 1 tbsp cornstarch
– 1/8 cup water
– 2 tsps dried chili flakes
What you’ll need to do:
1. In a large wok, steam your broccoli over medium heat with 1/2 cup water. Remove the broccoli from the wok and set aside.
2. Return the wok to the stove and increase the heat to medium-high heat. Heat your coconut oil until it is melted and hot. Add your garlic and saute for 1 minute.
3. Add the chicken to the pan and stir fry.
4. Meanwhile, get your sauce ready. In a small bowl, combine the rest of the ingredients and whisk with a fork.
5. Add the broccoli back to the wok and finally, add the sauce. Cook until everything is heated through and the sauce has thickened, about 1-2 minutes.
6. Serve with rice. Makes 6 servings.