When you dine out a restaurants, don’t you ever think that “Damn, I could easily make this at home”? I feel like this happens to me quite often and sometimes upon leaving I feel like “Damn, I could have easily made this at home AND I would have made it 10x better”. Does this happen to other people!??! Maybe it’s the cheap Asian in me but it happens.
Foundation, it’s your turn to be dominated by me. Tonight, I recreated Foundation’s Molten Tofu dish with my own twist — roasted tofu and broccoli with maple tahini dressing.
I’ve been thinking about Foundation’s Molten Tofu for quite some timen now. Besides their ever-so-famous nachos, I usually order this super comforting dish. It’s spicy tofu and broccoli on a bed of brown rice, greens and accompanied by a maple tahini dressing. It’s so damn good and ever since I got my hands on a new jar of tahini, this dish was one of my top priorities to make. And since I had a block of tofu sitting in my fridge and some leftover broccoli that my roommate was about to throw out, it was basically a no-brainer.
I’m not sure how the tofu is prepared at Foundation but I have always wanted to try roasting my tofu. I usually stir fry mine or throw them into soups and stews but never roasted. Since I love roasting all my vegetables, why not tofu, too? I trusted my instincts and it turned out to be superb — I may have to roast my tofu from here on out!
I imitated Foundation as much as I could on this minus the greens since I was way too excited to taste it and I think I seriously knocked it out of the park. It is both spicy and sweet, healthy yet filling… It’s a perfect dish to add to my monthly repertoire.
I honestly think “recreating restaurant dishes” should be a new feature of mine or something on the blog. What do you guys think?
Roasted tofu and broccoli with maple tahini dressing
What you’ll need:
– 1 (350g) pkg of extra firm tofu, patted dry, diced into 1/2″ cubes
– 1 tbsp olive oil
– 2 tbsp kecap manis
– 3 cloves of garlic, minced
– 1 tsp gochugaru
– 1/2 tsp dried red chili flakes
– 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
– Pinch of salt
– 1 head of broccoli, stems included, diced
– 1 clove garlic, minced
– 1/2 tbsp olive oil
– Juice from 1/2 lemon
– 1 tsp dried red chili flakes
– Salt and pepper, to taste
– 2 tbsp tahini
– 1 tbsp maple syrup
– 1/2 tbsp water
What you’ll need:
1. Preheat your oven to 400F and line a baking sheet with a Silpat mat or aluminum foil.
2. In a bowl, toss all of the ingredients for the tofu together and place on the lined baking sheet. Start roasting it while you prepare the broccoli (it will bake for 40 minutes total).
3. In the same bowl, toss all of the ingredients for the broccoli together.
4. At the halfway mark, take out the tofu and flip the tofu pieces so the other side of the tofu can brown.
5. Place the broccoli on the same pan and roast for 15-20 minutes. Keep on eye on the florets as you want to prevent them from burning (I took mine out at 15 minutes).
6. In the meantime, combine the ingredients for the dressing.
7. Serve the tofu and broccoli over brown rice and greens with a dollop of dressing on top and mix. Makes 2 servings.