This past weekend was my friend Devon’s birthday and, of course, being the baker that I am, was designated “dessert girl”. I never get a say at these things. Since I was in charge of dessert, I decided to bake something up to use up a few of my organic lemons that have been looking lonely in my fridge and that could easily be shared by everyone at the party. I made some simple lemon crinkle cookies for the occasion which was a hit!
But let’s be honest, when has my cooking or baked goods ever NOT been a hit?!?!
I’ll be honest, these weren’t my best. But it’s really funny because whenever I pump something out that is mediocre, I get tons of requests for the recipe on Instagram and FB. This entry has been pushed up a bit just so I could share the recipe with y’all. You’re welcome.
Now, judging by the recipe, I knew this would not work for me. With these measurements, you would end with a lemon cupcake. Not joking. I’ve only had my cupcake business for nearly 6-7 years. I can judge a recipe just by looking at it. Honestly, I would probably take out an egg but I was on autopilot and added the other in. It felt like I was just whipping up some cake batter. I have increased the flour and all of my adjustments are down at the bottom.
It’s funny because these were not my favourite cookies. But they actually grew on me. These lemon crinkle cookies are very cakey but once they cool down, they pretty damn good! Crunchy exterior and fluffy insides. Pretty nice touch, actually. I also made these cookies abnormally large (atleast for me) and they pumped out nearly 24 cookies. Please note that these cookies definitely spread out a bit so they do not need to be pressed down at all.
These cookies have a beautiful lemon scent but if you want a full on lemon bomb flavour, I would suggest adding a couple drops of lemon extract to really bring out that lemony aspect.
Lemon crinkle cookies adapted from Crunchy Creamy Sweet)
What you’ll need:
– 1/2 cup Earth Balance baking sticks (or butter, coconut oil, etc)
– 1 cup granulated sugar
– 2 eggs, room temperature
– 4 lemons, zested
– Juice of 1/2 lemon
– 2 1/2 cups Cup 4 Cup gluten-free flour (or regular all purpose flour)
– 1 1/2 tsps baking powder
– 1 tsp baking soda
– 1/2 cup powdered sugar, in a small bowl
What you’ll need to do:
1. Preheat your oven to 350F and line a baking sheet with a non-stick baking mat such as Silpat or parchment paper. Set aside.
2. In your stand mixer, beat the Earth Balance stick until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
3. Add the granulated sugar and beat together for an additional 3 minutes.
4. Gradually add your eggs, one by one, until the mixture is well incorporated.
5. Add in the lemon zest and lemon juice and slowly add in your flour and baking powder and soda. If it is still very runny, throw it in the fridge for 15 minutes.
6. Form balls either with your hands or with two spoons and drop it into the powdered sugar mixture and roll the ball around until it is all covered in sugar. Place onto the baking sheet and repeat for the rest of the cookie dough.
7. Bake in the preheated oven for 12 minutes. Let cool in the pan for 5 minutes and store in an air-tight container. Makes 2 dozen (24) cookies.