These banana date oatmeal cookies are 1) sugar-free, 2) dairy-free, 3) egg-free, 4) nut-free, 5) gluten-free, 6) soy-free and oh, 7) vegan. It doesn’t sound appetizing to you, does it? My sister would probably comment on me being “hipster” again but hey, they’re actually not bad at all! Plus, it’s got all these amazing superfoods mixed in which makes it even BETTER for you.
Are you ready for the recipe yet!?!
When I was younger, I used to get tons of sugar cravings. My mom always used to catch me during my “cookie dough” phase where all I would eat was cookie dough. I would make the batter and just eat it. I wouldn’t even bake it. How did I not get salmonella when I was a kid!??! Nowadays, I always crave salt. I love savoury food and for some reason, I almost find it more satisfying than a sweet treat. But every now and then I will get an itch for something sweet.
I’ve been trying to cut out or cut down a lot of stuff in my diet. Meat (part-time check), refined flour (pretty much there check), refined sugar (half check), carbz (yeah, this ain’t happening)… Just trying to be disciplined and put good things in my body. I mean, I’m not doing a bad job but I can certainly do better. My old employee, Emilia, who’s currently studying to be a holistic nutritionist used me a case study for one of her projects and she said that I was by far, the easiest one to do! She hardly had to make any recommendations for me – woot woot!
Anyways, I must warn that these are super chewy cookies, like to the point where it feels as if they are underdone. Not my preference, personally, but they tasted awesome and it’s kind of like a healthy, all-natural energy booster without having to reach for my Clif Bars. Make sure to use overripe bananas – VERY important step since we are not using any sugars or sweeteners in this. Also, medjool dates are also another source of sugar in this. I did my very best in keeping it all-natural and it turned out great with these adjustments! If it’s not sweet enough for you, feel free to add sugar if you please.
Banana date oatmeal cookies (adapted from All Recipes)
What you’ll need:
– 1/3 cup coconut oil, unscented/unflavoured
– 3 overripe bananas, mashed
– 1 tsp madagascar bourbon vanilla extract
– 2 cups rolled oats
– 1 tsp baking soda
– 1 1/2 tsps ground cinnamon
– 2 tbsps hulled hemp hearts
– 1 tbsp bee pollen
– 2 tbsps ground flax seed
– 1 cup medjool dates, pitted and chopped
What you’ll need to do:
1. Preheat your oven to 375F and line baking sheet with a Silpat mat or parchment paper.
2. In a stand mixer, beat your coconut oil, mashed banana and vanilla extract until well-incorporated on medium speed.
3. Bring down the speed to low and gradually add the rest of the ingredients, adding the medjool dates last once everything else is mixed thoroughly.
4. Drop tablespoonfuls of cookie dough onto the the lined baking sheet and bake for 15-18 minutes. The tops should be a little crispy and the bottoms nicely browned. Makes 15 cookies.